Wednesday, August 24, 2016

40k Deathwatch - Kill Teams Artemis and Cassius continue...

Snuck in a little painting time in the evenings over the last couple days as we got a break in the punishing summer heat. Phew! Continued cranking away on the Deathwatch models, and actually have started having fun with 'em.


Gave all the models a few extreme highlights with fortress grey which hopefully wasn't a step too far. Interestingly they do seem a bit more stark in the pics than they do in real life. Went with a slightly toned-down blued steel from the prior recipe which I'm much happier with - still has the blue tinge but it's not quite as prominent as on the test models.


At that point I switched gears a little and went full-on polychromatic! Started laying in the various marine chapter insignia and color schemes which was fairly enjoyable. Still some cleanup to do on them but it was a breath of fresh air after the hours and hours of monochromatic line highlights!

So far, so good!

7 comments:

  1. Great progress Mordian, love the colourful Chapter insignia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh it only got into the 80s here today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coming together nicely chief. Here I am thinking my little five man Iron Warriors kill team is coming along at a great pace and then I see this.

    So when are you back to Chaos? :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. The shoulder pad pops is awesome! Love that pop of color!

    ReplyDelete
  5. very nice. you can always knock the grey back with a dark blue (almost black) glaze later :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the best part about the DW marines are the different chapter badges, not to mention all the little character bits they each have. Too much or too little grey is always the dilemma with these guys, but I think you're pulling off a pretty good balance.

    I've been debating getting into this army vs bulking out my Mechanicum with the new tank and cavalry kits. I already have a 10-man kill team from back in the day, and with the Overkill set and the Death Masque teams I feel kinda halfway into the army myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Siph_Horridus: Thanks very much!

    @CJ Kilbride: Haha! I'd take it!

    @Rory Priest: I appreciate it! As will be mentioned in the following post, I am regretting my decision to try and batch paint these! More Thousand Sons once Inferno is released, sort of in a holding pattern until then!

    @Greg Hess: Thanks! Definitely helps give 'em each a little more personality. They were awful drab up to this point!

    @Zab: Aye, I think that may end up being necessary!

    @#2501: Thanks man! I'm sort of doing this army accidentally - I just sort of ended up with a whole mess of 'em from buying the box sets for other purposes! I would love to see your take on 'em!

    Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

    ReplyDelete