Thursday, August 22, 2013

Imperial Guard - Macharius Omega and Thudd Gun built and primed

Been a crazy busy week between playing catch up at work and prepping for a gig this coming Friday with the band. However, I did manage to get in a little build time and I hope to get some paint on 'em come Sunday if all goes according to plan!


The Omega went together like a dream, though there were some truly massive resin blocks that needed to be dremel-ed away. I actually managed to refrain from building the whole model in one go and kept some parts separate for painting. There's a ton of great detailing that would otherwise be virtually inaccessible.


While I was at it, the Thudd Gun that has been lurking in a bag in the Closet of Doom for nigh on three years got assembled and primered as well. Since the loader is going to be cranking the elevation wheel and would otherwise be difficult to paint, I kept the crewmen separate for painting on this model as well.

Looking forward to getting some brush time on 'em!

11 comments:

  1. uhh, itslooking kinda shiny for a basecoat...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to say that as well. It's really shiny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Da Masta Cheef: Aye, I use Krylon Fusion in Satin Black for my primer, it's a rich deep black which is good for shadows, and it sprays on relatively thin so it doesn't obscure detail but it's also very... enamel-y? It bonds really well and seems to be very resistant to rubbing or scratching but it does also end up looking pretty shiny. Takes paint well though and after a hit of matte sealant any residual shine goes away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Macharius.... Mmmm my fav' Guard tank. :)

    Get painting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Dai: Mine too! I used to have a vanilla Macharius but sold it off in the great guard purge of 2010. Definitely wanted another one so I thought I'd go with a different variant this time around. I don't think I've ever seen one out on the blogosphere, and I'm a big fan of plasma in the army so it seemed like a natural fit. Can't wait to get cracking on it, though I don't have any hobby time until Sunday. Boo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ahh lovely lovely Imperial Heavy Machinery

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to see that Macharius Omega finished.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely stuff as always - had a bit of a back-log to look through. Looks like GenCon was good fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Impcommander: You know it! They're the reason I play guard!

    @Xi: Definitely! I'm really looking forward to getting some brush time in this weekend. Pics to follow soon!

    @Manus: That is was! A much-needed vacation, and a great time to catch up with old friends, all of whom are scattered to the ends of the earth these days!

    Cheers all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice work. May I ask how the crew are attached to the base for temporary painting? I usually use blu-tak for that, but they tend to fall off and get lost. Does a dab of glue work?

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Colonel Scipio: I usually smear the base with white glue (elmer's), which when coupled with the primer seems to hold the model in place enough that I can paint it so long as I don't get too aggressive. I usually end up having to do a little touch up once they're removed from the base and glued into position, but not too much.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete