Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Heresy Era Thousand Sons - Seraphis, Librarian Dreadnought Painted

I've been dabbling a bit with paint schemes for the Heresy-Era Thousand Sons, and I believe I've settled on the crimson I'll be using. I've been a bit tired of painting infantry models, so I thought I'd take a crack at the Librarian Dreadnought for the army - Seraphis is a 'named character' dreadnought for the Thousand Sons in the Tempus Fugitives codex.


Armed with a Plasma Cannon and a Force Weapon, and as a member of the Athaenean Cult, he has access to a number of psychic powers that can turn the tide of battle to the Thousand Sons' advantage.


The model itself is 90% constructed from the Venerable Dreadnought kit, with a few add-ons from other sources - the loincloth, for example, is made from parts of an Inquisitor-scale model's coat. I'm still thinking about what extra detail work needs to be painted on, there's a fair bit of open space yet that I feel may require some eldritch symbols and further scroll work...

4 comments:

  1. I really like that you went with a darker muted red rather than a brighter red like in the Horus Heresy art books

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It's a little lighter than the pictures indicate, but I really wanted to go with a deeper crimson. I may bring up the edge highlights a bit more but so far I'm fairly happy with it. I'm torn on the base though - I'm wondering if going with a grey slate colored base rather than the current worn sandstone would better contrast with the reds and golds of the model?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it. The detail work on the force weapon is eye catching. I don't know why, but I always like those little squiggly details painted on. Maybe you could add some to the armor?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a excellent idea ITG! I'll give that a try - I'm thinking a series of Red Gore squigglies with a Baal Red wash to blend them in may be exactly what the model needs. Good call!

    ReplyDelete