Sunday, July 10, 2011

Heresy Era Thousand Sons - Assault Captain Besenmut built

Well the Miniature Wargames Conversions Miniature Conversion Contest (say that ten times fast) got me in the building mood, so I hauled out the box of Thousand Sons bits from the depths of the Closet of Doom and did a little building. In the codex that I'm using, only one assault squad is allowed to have jump packs, so I figured that the Vanguard Veterans squad would be the ones equipped with them. This also has the added benefit of a upgrading the veteran sergeant to Assault Captain Besenmut, who is armed with a Relic Blade and an Iron Halo and has one better WS and W than the sergeant he replaces.


The Vanguard Veterans were built using a number of bits from the ornate Egyptian-themed marine bits I'd picked up from eBay and so Besenmut really needed something to distinguish him from the rest of the unit. My eye fell upon the marine casualties I'd planned on using for objective markers and immediately decided a little vingette was in order, with Besenmut landing on a wounded marine.


A few other things were added to help him stand out - to represent his Relic Blade he was given a Khopesh-styled power sword from MaxMini, and to help represent his Iron Halo, he was also given one of the more ornate helmets from the Egyptian-themed bits. I figured one of the helmets with wings would be suited to the assault captain.


With the weight of the base, I was able to off-set Besenmut from the base a little, even with the metal jet pack. The original positioning was a little off so the steel wire got a little bend to bring the model into a more dynamic position. All in all a fun model to build and I'm looking forward to painting it. It's a fair bet that the marine on the ground will end up being a Space Wolf. It's only appropriate after all!

6 comments:

  1. Fantastic, I love the pre heresy thousand sons. Where do your tabards come from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! The tabards were from the same set of Egyptian-themed bits from a seller called Irina_est on eBay. The seller also makes a set of terminator upgrade bits along the same lines, though I haven't ordered any of those as yet...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really nice minis. That is an awesome use of the casualty mini too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are looking great, can't wait to see them painted up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice one mate - I've just ordered some of the Marine and Terminator bits last week - its nice to see someone else in the community already using them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks folks!

    @The Inner Geek - I was inspired by a similar conversion with a DA Archon, but I can't recall where I saw it. The weight of the casualty model really allows one to go off-center though, which I think gives it a nice sense of motion.

    @The Grim Darkness - I was able to primer them over the weekend, and as soon as the last six Dark Eldar are done I'm planning on painting up the Thousand Sons I've built so far.

    @Rogue Pom - Nice! I've been quite pleased with the power armor upgrade set and I'm definitely considering buying a set of the Terminator bits. I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete