Friday, February 18, 2011

Heresy-Era Thousand Sons - Vanguard Veterans, Part 1

Real Life(tm) has been crazy of late, but earlier in the week a package arrived on my doorstep containing some bits I'd ordered from MaxMini (50 of one style of their 'Steam Knight' heads, and a bunch of Terminator Shoulder Pads and Khopesh-style power weapons), so I spent a little time putting together a combat squad of Vanguard Veterans to see how all the parts I've been gathering worked together. I've had 10 of the old Rogue Trader-era turbofan jump packs lurking in my bits boxes for the better part of 10 years, but never really knew what I wanted to do with them... Until now!


These five will be the 'vanilla' Vanguard Veterans armed with chainswords and bolt pistols. They will be joined by Assault Captain Besenmut, a character upgrade Sorceror who carries a Relic Blade, and four other veterans likely armed with power weapon upgrades. The veteran models and sergeants will all utilize the more ornate upgrade torsos/shoulder pads/tabards I picked up from a seller on ebay, while the regular troops will wear more standardized power armor. For the most part the entire army will use the 'steam knight' heads as they match up with a lot of the artwork from the Visions of Heresy books. I'm thinking the sergeants and characters will all utilize the more baroque Thousand Sons style heads with the bigger helmet vanes, to help them stand out from the regular marines.

3 comments:

  1. Hello, can you tell me more certainly, where did you buy these bits and from whom?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Certainly - the torsos, shoulder pads and tabards were from a seller on ebay named irina-est. The heads are from MaxMini, they are one of the Steam Knight heads. The jump packs are way old out-of-print turbofan jump packs from GW, though you can find them occasionally on ebay as well. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, one more question) as I understand it was the Russian seller?

    ReplyDelete