Sunday, August 23, 2009

For when you care enough to send the very best, part 3

Success! I was able to finish up the Deathstrike launcher for the Tale of Even More Painters contest today, and it was nice enough outside to get it sealed as well:



The missile itself is magnetized to keep it in place in both the transport and launch positions. It is my intent is to use this as a proxy for the unit in the Guard codex, and as such I went with a weapon servitor armed with a heavy bolter rather than a hull-mounted version as is the case on the Chimera chassis.



I felt that the Deathstrike should be tended by tech-priests of the Adeptus Mechanicus, and as such I rooted around in the Closet of Doom for some servitors and such. I was able to find a spare Skulls-era tech-priest and a tech-servitor to man the command deck.



All in all it was a fun model to build, and I think it's large enough to really warrant the destructive power of the Deathstrike missile. Though it will rarely be used in regular games, my local gaming group is planning an apocalypse game soon, and the crawler will be taking the field to help thin out the enemy ranks!



I was asked to post a picture of the undercarriage of the launcher, and I'll be the first to admit that I didn't spend much time on modeling the underside. The basis of the crawler was two ork battlewagons glued together back to back, with some of various flat panels and some plasticard to hold it together. Pretty simple, and rather bland, but for the most part no one will see the undercarriage I suppose...

14 comments:

  1. Looks absolutely phenomenal. A brilliant conversion. I'm really impressed with the quality of minis that everybody is producing for the Tale so far. I'm sadly having to play a joker for this second challenge so I'm going to fall behind a bit but I get to enjoy spectating this round and I'm not disappointed! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent.

    What I like the most : it's articulated !
    What I like the less : You did it, I didn t ! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome. Nothing really else to say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really excellent conversion. It certainly does look like a doomsday weapon...that missile is frikkin' huge! Congrats on beating the deadline while producing such great work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks folks! It was a blast to make, and I think it ended up looking fairly decent for being just bunged together out of spare bits and bobs. I'm definitely looking forward to laying it down on the table and menacing my opponents with the 8-12" template! Muah-hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks fantastic. Amazing quality in such a short period of time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is frakkin' great! It's got to be THE best custom/conversion I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Again great job as had been said before. Very clean, the crew look awesome, and the missile, which I wan't sure was going to look right looks amazing. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks! I'm surprised it's drawn such a positive reaction, being sort of a spur-of-the-moment conversion.

    I was worried about the missile as well Huron, I just sort of built it not thinking about scale initially - Once I had it together I realized it would have looked ridiculous on a Chimera though. I'd gone back and forth about how I wanted to paint it, and just went with basic black/red similar to most of my other vehicle weapons. It looked a little bland so I went with the white stripe and aquila which spiced it up a bit.

    Thanks for the support folks, I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job on this! The pure cleverness of this model is amazing! Ork truck parts, a blast shield from the Imperial line, cities of death pieces and a techpriest working all! I agree that it may be hard to use in normal games, its just way too long and long ranged, but it would be great in an apoc game! You should keep a tally somewhere of what it destroys ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. odddd question,
    any chance of getting a picture of hte underbelly of that beast?
    i kinda want to attempt one of my own, but cant picture the underneath of the back of the crawler

    awesome build however, just awesome

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sure thing - I've posted a shot of the undercarriage, though it's not much to look at... :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. might not be much to look at, but its more then enough to fill in the missing blanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I cannot say how much I love this model. Truly excellent work, you should be very very proud!

    ReplyDelete