Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Why fight the inevitable?

I find that I tend to see-saw back and forth between the forces of good and evil when I build armies, and I'm currently in the depths of a 'good' binge. However, I ran across something on eBay that kicked the alignment needle over to 'evil' for a moment, and got me thinking about my venerable little Benevolent Cult of the Four-Armed Emperor (all the better to hold and vivisect, er, PROTect you with).




I've liked the Genestealer Cult army list ever since it was first presented back in the Rogue Trader days. My very first Mordian 7th regiment was inevitably insidiously infiltrated (say that five times fast), in fact 5 of the models pictured are from my original cult and had until about 8 months ago never been painted! I finally got around to dusting them off and painting them last year when I used them in a game of Dark Heresy - They've lurked in my miniatures cabinet since then, one of those little finished projects that I like too much to sell...

Back in the early 90's I'd built a crude coven limousine out of plasticard and model car parts. It was hideous, and also the source of much amusement. In a fit of artistic license (or complete lack of talent, more accurately) the front grill was so exaggerated that anyone sitting in the drivers seat could not have possibly seen where they were going - thankfully the model was eventually 'put out to pasture'. While posting my recent auctions I ran across a resincast model of the taxi from the 5th Element, and it looked like a perfect replacement for the coven limousine!



What's better than a limousine? One that has repulsorlift capability, of course! It arrived late last week and I was able to get it cleaned up and primered. There was a small glitch though...


It's still kind of hard to tell with no real reference, but when I opened the package I discovered the model is BIG...



...It has a footprint nearly equivalent to the Macharius. After all the years of scorn and abuse from my opponents about their last limo, the coven apparently ordered themselves the superheavy version! I think it really doesn't look TOO huge when you cluster a few models around it though:



All in all I think it'll work. I'm planning on calling it a proxy Rhino with the armor values explained away as accounting for the mass of this huge, (albeit civilian) vehicle. I'm going to use this as an incentive/reward to myself for finishing the guardsmen I need to paint for the tournament list. The faster I finish them, the sooner I'll get to paint the limo and get the cult back on the battlefield!

No comments:

Post a Comment